Monday, July 14, 2014

Harry Potter revisited

ABC Family did the #potterhead marathon last weekend. All 8 movies back to back split over Saturday and Sunday. As I watched few of the movies, again, may be for 100th time, my mind started wondering what if...... What if I had a chance to revisit the Harry Potter series and redo or rather undo some incidents, would the outcome be rather more appealing - to me?

I have very high regard to J.K Rowling and her writings and I am a die hard fan of the whole series. As I read the books and watched movies, I had become rather involved in the life of Harry Potter. It broke my heart to see him lose his near and dear ones. Like for example, why did Sirius Black have to die? He was the only family Harry had. After his parents - James and Lily - Sirius was his godfather. Harry barely got to spend time with his parents. So when I met Sirius Black - and I mean "when I met" because I am that involved in this fictional series. So when I met Sirius Black, I was so thrilled.... finally Harry had found a real home and family! I thought his godfather would be able to make up atleast a little for his lost childhood. But no... we lost Sirius Black.

And Doby?? Oh that was really not fair. This loyal elf always had only one intention- save Harry Potter anywhere and everywhere! And ofcourse he died saving Harry Potter. That was so sad. I wish Dobby was alive when Harry defeated Voldemort.

Professor Snape - he is my hero. Especially when you are finished reading/watching the entire series, and you start the whole series again, at every occurrence of him, it makes me wonder - what a great man! Imagine the amount of burden he has carried all his life. Always looking out for Harry, yet hiding his emotions and on the contrary displaying immense hatred towards him, it is absolutely amazing!  Nothing to change here about him...Snape was perfect!

2 comments:

  1. Yes Aditi, Snape is a complex and well drawn out character. She characterized him with such guile and in so many layers- made us detest him and then, in the end, bam! in a span of a few pages made him so completely relatable and gave him a basic premise of love and injury... I also love the Harry Potter series with its references to so many classics and its lovely spiritual message in the end that Love trumps everything...
    brilliant, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was sad about Dobby too - and the movie captures it pretty well.

    ReplyDelete